This week I celebrated my 37th birthday! Yep 37, but why do I feel so ancient? Not dinosaur ancient but like the 80s feels like it was 50+ years ago. Am I the only one? Anyway, it occurred to me that while I may not be that ‘old’, I certainly have lived through some rough patches and made some questionable choices in my lifetime. I grew up in a country driven by corruption and our family was very poor, as an only child, my parents tried their absolute best to provide for me all the necessities I would need. I’ve also had several health issues, I have to mention those because there were 7+ surgeries and scars to show for them on my body. Mentally I’ve taken several hits too but let’s talk about the good stuff, shall we?
I found an amazing man that loves me even in times when my flaws are shining brighter than the north star. I have 3 amazing, healthy, incredible kids, (btw when I was growing up I always dreamt of having 3 kids #becarefulwhatyouwishfor lol), I am blessed to have my parents still with me, and a handful of loyal, ‘we will bury the body with you kind of friends’! A girl can’t ask for more, can she?
I could write a post about my wishlist, how much I would love to be a 120lbs with flat abs, sitting on my own yacht or island sipping an umbrella drink as I write this post and have kids I don’t have to yell at, while my husband was Chris Hemsworth (but he’s already married, bummer), but instead as I look back at my short life, I’d like to write a post about 37 Things I Would Tell My Younger Self. I feel like I need to get it out there so that one day hopefully I get to 50 or 60 I can look back and say it was a work in progress but look how far you’ve come.
Related: Overcoming Guilt
Related: 5 Ways To Celebrate Your Child’s Accomplishments
1. First and foremost, LOVE AND ACCEPT YOURSELF. God made you unique, embrace it all even the flaws.
2. Be KIND, even to those you think don’t deserve it.
3. You’ll make mistakes, don’t dwell on them. LEARN from them.
4. It’s ok to cry, don’t keep things bottled up.
5. Don’t be in a hurry to grow up or jump forward to certain events, enjoy each phase of your journey.
6. Remember work hard and give a 110% in everything you do. It will be worth it.
7. Stand up and speak up for yourself, be an advocate and stay strong to that voice. It will come in handy for the rest of your life.
8. Learn about empathy and gratitude early, it will make you a happier person.
9. Your parents love you and they do understand 🙂
10. Remember that you’re not the only person feeling a certain way, yes you’re an only child but you’ll realize soon that other people go through the same things in life.
11. When you get your period you’ll be the first of your friends and the sticky side of the pad goes on the panty, not upside down :\
12. Not all friends want the best for you. Beware of their intentions.
13. Understand that the kids bullying you and talking about you and laughing have their own issues and problems. It’s not so much you.
14. Learn patience. Everything you want or need will arrive in due time.
15. You’ll get over heartbreak; that guy wasn’t worth it anyway. The real love of your life is just a couple years away 🙂
16. Smile more, worry less.
17. Never forget where you come from, it will shape where you’re going.
18. Have standards, and don’t lower them for other people.
19. Never stop dreaming, dreams always come true.
20. Be fearless, it will take you places.
21. Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it. 🙂
22. Understand that getting married isn’t about the wedding, it’s about the marriage.
23. You don’t always have to speak up, you can still have an opinion quietly.
24. Motherhood will rock your world. You will never be the same, you will become a significantly better person. Hang it there new mama.
25. Surround yourself with people who build you up, don’t waste time with anything less.
26. Marriage will go a lot easier if you stop and listen to each other and not meddling family members.
27. You’re going to have a preemie baby to take care of, advice will flood your ears but learn to trust your own instincts and intuition.
28. The next few years you’ll be very sick, you’ll find out people’s true colors and who really cares about you. Brace yourself!
29. Be a good listener, your friends love that about you.
30. Learn to speak to yourself the same way you speak to your friends, forgiving and loving. You will make mistakes and errors, it’s ok.
31. Don’t compare yourself! Your middle will not be the same as someone else’s beginning.
32. Persistence is a game changer. Remember this always.
33. It’s ok to say NO to people, the world won’t stop spinning.
34. The way you look doesn’t define your worth.
35. It’s not about religion, it’s about FAITH. Any God will listen when you pray and don’t ever stop praying!
36. Don’t stop learning, knowledge is never wasted.
37. Understand that sometimes certain people, events, and circumstances will try to knock you down. It’s ok to cry but then get up, brush yourself off and move forward. You are stronger for it.
Leave a Reply